Marital Status

More »


Dear Tax Pro – February

Posted February 26th 2016

Tax season is officially here which means we’re starting to field a lot of questions from clients who are eager and ready to file their taxes.  This month, we saw a lot of folks asking about family status changes and how those can impact their 2015 tax returns. For more information, check out our post […]

Read more


Tax-Smart solutions to claiming children when separated

Posted November 5th 2015

Rules for claiming children when you are separated or divorced can be confusing. Both parents need to file their returns correctly or the claim may be disallowed.

Read more


Dear Tax Pro (July)

Posted July 24th 2015

Taxes aren’t always an intuitive topic. Every month we will post frequently asked or interesting questions we receive. Here is the June edition of Dear Tax Pro.  Q: If you already receive CCTB (Canada Child Tax Benefit) do you still have to apply for the new one with the lump-sum payment for July? Will it […]

Read more

More »


Me and my boyfriend became pregnant in 2013, but only lived together for 5 months that year. Does this mean we are considered common law for that year? Or are we considered common law after the baby was born in 2014

Find out More

More »

Can't find the answer you need?

Privacy Policy. This message may be considered advertising under applicable law. © 2017 H&R Block. All rights reserved.

*File Online: If you find another tax software preparation method that results in a larger refund (or smaller liability) than that calculated by the H&R Block online tax software, we will reimburse you the purchase price of that other method. Tax Protection or similar insurance is excluded. To qualify, the larger refund or smaller tax liability must not be due to differences in data supplied by you, your choice not to claim a deduction or credit, or positions taken on your return that are contrary to law. To obtain reimbursement, you must provide us with a dated receipt within [60] days of purchase. File in an Office: If you discover an H&R Block error on your return that entitles you to a larger refund (or smaller tax liability), we will amend the return at no additional charge. If H&R Block makes an error in the preparation of your tax return that costs you any interest or penalties on additional taxes due, although we do not assume the liability for the additional taxes, we will reimburse you for the interest and penalties.