Foreign Investment and Property

More »


Making the Most of your Expat Filing

Posted March 31st 2016

There’s a lot of talk this time of year is about what Canadians need to know heading into tax season.  What about the more than one million Americans living in Canada? As the only western country that taxes its citizens, regardless of where they are living or earning income, the US has strict rules in […]

Read more


Government getting more serious about foreign property and income

Posted July 2nd 2013

To crack down on unreported assets and income being held outside of Canada, the federal government is introducing changes to Form T1135.

Read more


Own foreign property? Make sure you file Form T1135

Posted April 25th 2011

If you are subject to the foreign property reporting requirements, you must file Form T1135 by the tax return deadline even if you have a refund coming.

Read more

More »

Can't find the answer you need?

Privacy Policy. This message may be considered advertising under applicable law. © 2017 H&R Block. All rights reserved.

*File Online: If you find another tax software preparation method that results in a larger refund (or smaller liability) than that calculated by the H&R Block online tax software, we will reimburse you the purchase price of that other method. Tax Protection or similar insurance is excluded. To qualify, the larger refund or smaller tax liability must not be due to differences in data supplied by you, your choice not to claim a deduction or credit, or positions taken on your return that are contrary to law. To obtain reimbursement, you must provide us with a dated receipt within [60] days of purchase. File in an Office: If you discover an H&R Block error on your return that entitles you to a larger refund (or smaller tax liability), we will amend the return at no additional charge. If H&R Block makes an error in the preparation of your tax return that costs you any interest or penalties on additional taxes due, although we do not assume the liability for the additional taxes, we will reimburse you for the interest and penalties.