You Asked

I signed my child up for a hockey day camp for a week. Is this a childcare expense or a fitness activity?

If the camp has a wide range of activities and is basically acting as your babysitter for the week, then it is most likely a childcare expense. If the camp is five consecutive days and focused on one sport like hockey, it can qualify for the Children’s Fitness Tax Credit. You can only claim the expense once. If it satisfies the childcare requirements first then you must claim it as childcare, which usually results in the largest tax savings anyway. The Children’s Fitness Tax Credit has a maximum claim of $1,000 per child.

Visit for more information or find your nearest office.


Can't find the answer you need?

Privacy Policy. This message may be considered advertising under applicable law. © 2017 H&R Block. All rights reserved.

*File Online: If you find another tax software preparation method that results in a larger refund (or smaller liability) than that calculated by the H&R Block online tax software, we will reimburse you the purchase price of that other method. Tax Protection or similar insurance is excluded. To qualify, the larger refund or smaller tax liability must not be due to differences in data supplied by you, your choice not to claim a deduction or credit, or positions taken on your return that are contrary to law. To obtain reimbursement, you must provide us with a dated receipt within [60] days of purchase. File in an Office: If you discover an H&R Block error on your return that entitles you to a larger refund (or smaller tax liability), we will amend the return at no additional charge. If H&R Block makes an error in the preparation of your tax return that costs you any interest or penalties on additional taxes due, although we do not assume the liability for the additional taxes, we will reimburse you for the interest and penalties.