Expert Blog

Should I expect a T4 slip?

Posted February 8th 2013

The end of February means T4 slips are due from your employer. T4s are one of the key pieces of paper needed for your tax return. Any slip that begins with a T indicates income, and they all have to be reported.

If you do not receive your T4 in the mail, there may be a few explanations. If you moved and didn’t inform a former employer, the company probably mailed the slip to the wrong address. Fortunately, T4s are listed as part of My Account by the Canada Revenue Agency, so you can access your slips if you sign up.

But you may not receive a slip because the type of work you performed did not require that you receive one. Employers must issue a T4 slip if:

  • they had to deduct income tax, CPP contributions, EI premiums or PPIP premiums from the employee’s wages; or
  • the remuneration was $500 or more.

But not all types of employment are EI insurable. For example, casual employment is not EI insurable if the work does not directly relate to the employer’s usual trade or business. So, if you were hired to clear the snow from the parking lot of a local store, this is considered casual employment. But if you were hired as extra customer service support at the same store for Christmas, then it is subject to EI, CPP and tax withholding, the same as for regular employees, and a T4 slip should be issued.

All employees are subject to the withholding of EI premiums, regardless of age. Unlike income tax or CPP contributions, EI premiums must be withheld from the first dollar of insurable earnings. Even if your pay was less than $500, you should still receive a T4 slip if your income was EI insurable.

If you were considered a self-employed contractor and no source deductions were withheld from your pay, you will not receive a T4. You will be responsible for reporting your income accurately but you can also claim business expenses against it.

Unfortunately, a Record of Employment (ROE) from Service Canada is not the same as a T4 slip and does not have all the information you need for your tax return. An ROE establishes whether you qualify for EI benefits – it is not a tax document.

Even if you do not receive your T4 slip, you are still responsible for reporting all your income from 2015.

And if you miss a T4 or any income, the CRA will notice. All your T slips are matched to your return over the summer via your Social Insurance Number. If you do not include all your T slips, the CRA will reassess your return and you could be looking at a tax bill.


Similar Blog Posts
  • Can I Split My Pension Income?

    You and your spouse are enjoying your golden years together and share pretty much everything. The CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) recognizes that sharing is caring, so they allow senior couples to […]

  • Where’s My Refund at? Find out with My Account.

    You kept your receipts, organized your slips and basically aced filing your return this year. Now that it’s out of your hands and the CRA’s (Canada Revenue Agency) you can’t […]

  • I Can Claim This, Right? The Top Tax Myths Busted.

    Your friends are your go-to for pretty much everything: shopping, eating, whether or not to post that photo…They’ve usually got you covered, but when it comes to taxes, it’s best […]


Visit for more information or find your nearest office.


No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Privacy Policy. This message may be considered advertising under applicable law. © 2017 H&R Block. All rights reserved.

*File Online: If you find another tax software preparation method that results in a larger refund (or smaller liability) than that calculated by the H&R Block online tax software, we will reimburse you the purchase price of that other method. Tax Protection or similar insurance is excluded. To qualify, the larger refund or smaller tax liability must not be due to differences in data supplied by you, your choice not to claim a deduction or credit, or positions taken on your return that are contrary to law. To obtain reimbursement, you must provide us with a dated receipt within [60] days of purchase. File in an Office: If you discover an H&R Block error on your return that entitles you to a larger refund (or smaller tax liability), we will amend the return at no additional charge. If H&R Block makes an error in the preparation of your tax return that costs you any interest or penalties on additional taxes due, although we do not assume the liability for the additional taxes, we will reimburse you for the interest and penalties.