Expert Blog

RRSP contributions: clearing up first-60-days confusion

Posted February 22nd 2012

Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSPs) are used by millions of Canadians to save for their retirement. Some people choose regular contributions every month, while others wait until the RRSP deadline to make their contribution.

RRSPs are one of the few deductions not tied to the December 31 deadline. Medical expenses, transit passes, employment expenses, children’s arts and fitness credits and others are all limited to the calendar year. However, RRSP contributions made in the first 60 days of 2016 may be claimed on your 2015 tax return.

But the first-60-day rule causes quite a lot of confusion. You will receive RRSP receipts for any contributions made in January and February 2016, whether it is a regular monthly contribution or a one-time deposit, and those receipts must be recorded on your 2015 tax return. However, while the contributions must be recorded, you do not have to actually claim them. Instead, you may choose to claim the deduction the following year. The same applies for contributions you made from March to December 2015: you do not need to claim all your contributions if you want to save them for another year.

If you find old RRSP receipts from previous years, you cannot add them to your return this year. You will need to file an adjustment to your previous returns to claim the receipt in the right year.

The first-60-days rules is a great opportunity to save some tax money on your 2015 return, but it can also be confusing. If you want to take advantage of this option, ensure you understand how the rules work.


Similar Blog Posts


Visit for more information or find your nearest office.

  • I have an |RSP acount but did not contribute for 2011. I did not get a tax receipt from my bank, only a statement. How do I calculate my reinvested income for 2011? Do I claim that RSP dividend/Interst income? Thank you.

    Comment by Jasna — April 8, 2012 @ 2:58 pm
  • RSP accounts are allowed to earn money tax-free until you withdraw the money (usually once you retire). You do not need to report the gains or losses that happen within your RRSP.

    Comment by Editor, TaxTalk — April 9, 2012 @ 12:17 pm
  • Hi
    Doing taxes with hr right now. Person will not allow me to claim my rrsp and wants me to pay more for adjustment.

    Comment by tony — May 7, 2012 @ 7:55 pm
  • Tony – you do need to make sure you report your RRSP receipts in the right year even if you do not claim the deduction. You can file an adjustment yourself with a T1 Adjustment Form at ~CH

    Comment by Editor, TaxTalk — May 10, 2012 @ 7:25 pm
  • I reinvested my earning from my RRSP (around 550) do I claim that as new RRSP on this years income tax form. For example, I purchased $500 RRSP, reinvested my initial 1000 from 5 years ago, and the 550 I earned from that RRSP. When completing ‘contributions to your own RRSP’ do I include only the new RRSP or do I also include the 550 I earned and invested into another RRSP. I’m pretty sure the 1000 I reinvested does not have any impact on that line. Clear as mud, I”m sure. Thanks for your input, Joyce

    Comment by Joyce — March 4, 2013 @ 2:14 am
  • Joyce – any earnings or distributions within your RRSP are tax-sheltered and they are not considered new contributions. You should only receipt a tax receipt for any new contributions. ~CH

    Comment by Editor, TaxTalk — March 6, 2013 @ 4:45 pm
  • Hi there,
    I received two RSP tax slips for 2013 – one dates February 6, the other March 6. I know I can claim them because they are within the first 60 days of 2013. Do I add up the two amounts and use that amount, or only use what’s on the March 6, 2013 tax slip? (I assume I can use the combined amount, otherwise why would they sent two tax slips?)

    Comment by Skye — March 14, 2013 @ 12:11 pm
  • Skye – RRSP receipts will indicate if the contribution is for the ‘first 60 days’ or the ‘remainder of the year’. This will determine if the contribution needs to be reported on 2012 or not. If so, combine the two amounts. ~CH

    Comment by Editor, TaxTalk — March 15, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Privacy Policy. This message may be considered advertising under applicable law. © 2016 H&R Block. All rights reserved.

*File Online: If you find another tax software preparation method that results in a larger refund (or smaller liability) than that calculated by the H&R Block online tax software, we will reimburse you the purchase price of that other method. Tax Protection or similar insurance is excluded. To qualify, the larger refund or smaller tax liability must not be due to differences in data supplied by you, your choice not to claim a deduction or credit, or positions taken on your return that are contrary to law. To obtain reimbursement, you must provide us with a dated receipt within [60] days of purchase. File in an Office: If you discover an H&R Block error on your return that entitles you to a larger refund (or smaller tax liability), we will amend the return at no additional charge. If H&R Block makes an error in the preparation of your tax return that costs you any interest or penalties on additional taxes due, although we do not assume the liability for the additional taxes, we will reimburse you for the interest and penalties.