You Asked

I'm a freelance florist and make my wages by invoicing the floral companies I work for. I'm confused about the $30 000 threshold relating to GST/HST and registering my business, can you help me?

As a self-employed contractor, you are responsible for keeping track of all of your income and expenses related to the business for the year. This means keeping receipts for invoices to companies, and any receipts that relate to your cost of business expenses.

You are also responsible for calculating and deducting your own federal and provincial required deductions, such as taxes and CPP. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) provides a calculator for Calculating deductions. These amounts will be due on April 30th.

The CRA stipulates that once a self-employed individual or small business earns more than $30 000 from that business during the year, they are required to register for a GST/HST account and being charging their clients for GST/HST. More information is available on the CRA website about Registering for a GST/HST account

Visit for more information or find your nearest office.


Can't find the answer you need?

Privacy Policy. This message may be considered advertising under applicable law. © 2017 H&R Block. All rights reserved.

*File Online: If you find another tax software preparation method that results in a larger refund (or smaller liability) than that calculated by the H&R Block online tax software, we will reimburse you the purchase price of that other method. Tax Protection or similar insurance is excluded. To qualify, the larger refund or smaller tax liability must not be due to differences in data supplied by you, your choice not to claim a deduction or credit, or positions taken on your return that are contrary to law. To obtain reimbursement, you must provide us with a dated receipt within [60] days of purchase. File in an Office: If you discover an H&R Block error on your return that entitles you to a larger refund (or smaller tax liability), we will amend the return at no additional charge. If H&R Block makes an error in the preparation of your tax return that costs you any interest or penalties on additional taxes due, although we do not assume the liability for the additional taxes, we will reimburse you for the interest and penalties.